Palazzo Vescovile, Seminario and La Loggia
In the square where the Cathedral is, called Largo Trinchera but also known as piazzetta Cattedrale, you will find the Palazzo Vescovile and the Palazzo del Seminario, joined by the elegant stone bridge, called 'La Loggia'.
In the palazzo del Seminario there is the foundation stone of the castle built by the Normans in 1148 and collapsed in the fifteenth century.
The present building was rebuilt in 1743 on a previous building built in 1560 and destroyed during the earthquake in 1743.
The basements of the present building are part of the original bulding, formerly used as prisons, also the current prospectus with the front door which bears the coat of arms of Queen Isabella of Aragon.
The palazzo del Seminario was built between 1705 and 1750, although it is was completely demolished in the fifties while retaining the original lines outside.
The two buildings are joined together by an arched loggia built in 1759 on whose pediment is leaning against a winged putto (originally there were two).