The Cathedral of Ostuni
The Cathedral of Ostuni, built between 1469 and 1495 in late Gothic style, was declared a national monument in 1902 by decree of the king of Italy Vittorio Emanuele III.
It is located on the top of the hill of the old town of Ostuni on what was known as the Piazza del Balio, of Swabian period. Ferdinand of Aragon and Alfonso II, kings of the Kingdom of Naples, favored its construction.
The façade is tripartite, divided by two pilasters and has three portals. The central portal has a bezel where is carved the Madonna and Child; the side doors have on their lunettes bas-reliefs of San Biagio, the patron saint of Ostuni, and San Giovanni Battista.
To embellish the facade is a magnificent rose window which symbolizes the Cristo Sole. It is composed of three concentric circles, with 24 rays finely crafted, 12 concentric arches embellished with floral motifs and figures of the twelve apostles. At the center, surrounded by seven cherubs, the figure of the Cristo Sole, master of the universe represented by the same rosette.
There are also two other equally beautiful rosettes on the sides of the Cathedral. A third one was destroyed.
The interior of the church is divided into three naves with lateral chapels of the Baroque style. Here you will find important sculptures and paintings. In the eighteenth century the bishop Bisanzio Filo commissioned the large canvases of the nave and transepts, while the bishop Scoppa embellished the interior with stucco, a new choir and a new bell tower.